The temperatures outside might make most Greater Toronto Area (GTA) homeowners want to hide in their houses until spring. But if you’ve never undergone a mold inspection, that can be dangerous to your health.
Mold thrives in hot and humid conditions, but it can easily take hold in your home during the cold and dry winter months. Here are some easy ways to prevent indoor mold build-up in your home:
- Always ventilate your bathroom. Behind shower tiles and bathroom drywall is a common place to find mold, and mold growth in the bathroom can be prevented by using the exhaust fan after every shower to quickly dry the bathroom.
- Prevent water damage and the subsequent mold growth from burst pipes by insulating your pipes and having someone check on your home if you go on vacation.
- Make sure your roof and rain gutters are in great condition before the spring thaw. Once any snow and ice begins to melt, the runoff can enter your home through leaky spots. If left unchecked, these leaks can result in mold infestations and damage that is difficult and expensive to repair.
- Ensure your windows and doors are sealed properly and that condensation isn’t building up around the edges of the frames. If there is condensation present, wipe it away frequently. Condensation on wooden window and door frames can lead to rotting and eventual mold growth.
- Undergo a mold inspection. The only surefire way you can make sure there’s currently no hidden mold in your home is to have a certified mold inspection company check it out. If you do discover mold in your home, act quickly and call a mold inspector. Mold that is not cleaned up quickly and properly can release spores, which are then inhaled and can lead to respiratory issues or the serious irritation of allergies in some people.
Should you suspect the presence of mold in your home or business, contact MoldInspections.ca – The Greater Toronto Area’s mold inspection professionals at (416) 575-6111
Mold Inspections in the GTA: Mississuaga, Vaughan, Ajax, Barrie, Beaverton, Bowmanville, Bracebridge, Brantford, Burlington, Caledon, Cambridge, Cobourg, Collingwood, Georgetown Guelph, Hamilton, Keswick, Kitchener, Lindsay, London , Markham, Milton, Mississauga, Muskoka, Newmarket, Niagara Falls, North York, Oakville, Orangeville, Oshawa, Owen Sound, Peterborough, Pickering, Port Carling, Port Hope, Richmond Hill, Severn Bridge, Sarnia , Simcoe, Southwest Ontario , St Catharines, Thornhill, Toronto, Vaughan, Waterdown, Waterloo, Whitby and Windsor Ontario.