We really hate to put a damper on anyone’s holiday celebrations, but that iconic Christmas tree may just be worsening your indoor allergies.
After it’s been cut, an evergreen tree is dead – it seems like an obvious statement, but have you considered this: once dead, it becomes home to mold. The longer your tree has been sitting outside on the lot, cut and waiting to be purchased, the longer mold has had a chance to settle in. Once the tree is in your home, the mold can easily become airborne and seep throughout the whole house.
Even artificial trees aren’t immune to mold infestation. The first year after you purchase an artificial tree, it will be fine, but once it’s been stored in your damp, dark basement for a year or two or three, it too becomes prime real estate for mold growth.
How can you protect yourself while still enjoying the holidays in traditional style? Here are some tips:
– Select a freshly cut tree, or cut one yourself
– Shake the tree to remove dead needles and dislodge as much existing mold as possible
– Keep the tree’s water source covered up, since it too can be a source of mold contamination
– Both real and artificial trees can be hosed down with water before setting them up to help remove any contaminants, but remember to dry it thoroughly outside before you bring it in
– Don’t keep the tree up for too long; enjoy the holidays and then dispose of it as quickly as you can
Your Roof in the Winter
Of course, any issues you may have with your Christmas tree will vanish when the season’s over; not so for mold that’s infesting your home. Here in Canada, with our harsh winters, it’s especially important to keep an eye on your roofing, eavestrough and gutter systems. When there’s a heavy snow followed by a partial thaw that refreezes overnight, the combination of snow and ice build-up and thawing can route the melt off into unexpected paths – including right inside your flashing and into the walls.
It’s a good idea to keep tabs on your roofing and eavestrough all year round, to help ensure that your walls stay dry on the inside. Moisture can and often does lead to mold, and you may not know that it’s there spreading in your walls until you experience the common symptoms of mold infestation, including headaches, eye irritation and more.
If you suspect the presence of mold in your home, get help from the experts at MoldInspections.ca. Please call us for a hassle-free quote today and get a mold inspection from the specialists.
MoldInspections.ca is the trusted leader for mold-free homes and breathable indoor air spaces in Toronto, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), and beyond. Providing certified mold inspection, detection and testing since 2005, we service home owners, real-estate agents, landlords, property managers, insurance companies and businesses. Featured on CTV and recommended by contractors, we regularly serve as expert witnesses in court proceeding relating to Mold and Indoor Air Quality issues. Do you have mold? Call us today for a free quote at (416) 575-6111.