With the coming of winter and cold weather the windows are usually shut and we typically have much less exposure to the outside and fresh air. While many people automatically associate allergies with seasonal exposure to tree and grass spores and other outdoor elements, many allergy sufferers actually find their symptoms worse during the winter months.
Dust and mold are the most common indoor allergens and while their origins may differ they both enter the air. Mold spores may originate anywhere in your home from the basement to the attic, but once they enter your HVAC system, they circulate throughout the house.
Even Without Allergies
Dust is an easy fix – an efficient vacuum with a hepa filter will do the trick. Mold can be much more difficult to control.
Allergies will of course make you especially sensitive but even in their absence, exposure to mold spores is known to cause a variety of flu-like and even more serious symptoms including nose and throat irritation. It’s something you need to deal with for the sake of your health and that of your family.
Since you’re stuck inside much of the time, winter can be a good time to check some common problem areas around the house to try and minimize your exposure to mold.
- Use a dehumidifier – mold flourishes the more moisture there is in the air. Keep humidity to 35-45%
- Check for drips in pipes – any moisture can lead to mold growth
- Check for excessive or persistent window condensation, even on harder surfaces like tile or vinyl windows, it will lead to mold. You’ll often find moisture and mold build up between double pane windows
- The basement – be sure to check for any signs of flooding or persistent dampness and deal with the causes immediately
- Old documents & papers – many of us keep old documents and memorabilia, often in the attic, basement or other storage spaces that themselves are prone to leaks, floods and other mold inducing conditions
Children and the elderly are particularly vulnerable. If you or a member of your family experiences flu-like symptoms you can’t explain, you should seek help in determining whether mold is the cause right away.
Let Us Help
Mold exposure is an acknowledged threat to your well-being and you may not know that mold even exists in your home until it affects your health. If you suspect any leaks or lingering moisture in your home, or if you’re experiencing flu-like or respiratory symptoms you can’t explain, give yourself peace of mind.
For Mold Inspection & Testing Services in Toronto, call us for a hassle-free quote today.
MoldInspections.ca is the trusted leader for mold-free homes and breathable indoor air spaces in Toronto, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), and beyond. Providing certified mold inspection, detection and testing since 2005, we service home owners, real-estate agents, landlords, property managers, insurance companies and businesses. Featured on CTV and recommended by contractors, we regularly serve as expert witnesses in court proceeding relating to Mold and Indoor Air Quality issues. Do you have mold? Call us today for a free quote at (416) 575-6111.