The bathroom is a natural place for mold to flourish. Most bathrooms, in fact, contain all the right conditions for mold growth to begin:
- Moisture that lingers
- Inadequate ventilation
On top of those basic conditions, there’s plenty for it to eat in terms of soap residue and other leftovers from showers and baths. It’s not nice to think about, but any homeowner knows that keeping the bathroom clean is one of the great challenges.
- Keep it clean – it sounds obvious, but regular cleaning will help to reduce the potential for mold.
- Mold resistant grout and sealant – mold can grow right into untreated sealant and grout and once these are full of mold, they have to be replaced entirely – cleaning won’t work anymore. Begin by using products designed for kitchens and bathrooms which are mold resistant.
- Mold resistant paint – as with grout and sealant, mold can permeate the paint itself. Specially treated kitchen and bathroom paints have built in mold and microbial protection. Tip: a high-gloss paint repels moisture the best and a semi-gloss is your next best choice. Flat or matte finishes actually absorb (and thus retain) moisture.
- Ventilation is key. Recommended: exhaust fans vented to the outside. Keep the fan on up to an hour after everyone’s done showering in the morning to remove all excess moisture from the air. Consider a fan with an automatic timer that will run on its own.
- If you have no window or way to the outside, an extractor uses a heat exchange process to extract moisture from the air.
You may have mold in your bathroom and not even know it! Sure, your ceramic tile is clean but what about these other areas of your bathroom?
- Under the sink
- Around or behind the toilet
- The walls behind the plumbing
- Under flooring where there have been leaks
We can help pinpoint areas of your home that require better ventilation or other measures to deter or remediate mold growth. In our mold detection inspections we conduct temperature and humidity checks through your home or business. During removal and remediation we recommend the use of negative air pressure machines and HEPA filters – which safely permanently capture the microscopic mold spores.
Get Expert Help
Mold growth can begin to take hold within a short 48 hours of the moment when water enters into an area, so it can affect homes both new and older. A mold inspection is your way of protecting yourself against nasty surprises.
If you notice a persistent, musty odour in your home, then you need help right away.
Get help from the experts at MoldInspections.ca. Please call us for a hassle-free quote today.
MoldInspections.ca is the trusted leader for mold-free homes and breathable indoor air spaces in Toronto, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), and beyond. Providing certified mold inspection, detection and testing since 2005, we service home owners, real-estate agents, landlords, property managers, insurance companies and businesses. Featured on CTV and recommended by contractors, we regularly serve as expert witnesses in court proceeding relating to Mold and Indoor Air Quality issues. Do you have mold? Call us today for a free quote at (416) 575-6111.