This year’s damp weather all over North America has caused mold allergies to flourish. Mold spore counts were measured as high as 125,000 in the Midwest United States – and 50,000 is normally considered an indication of dangerous air quality issues.
There are estimates that mold allergies have increased by 12 percent in the last three years alone. You may not be able to do anything about the weather, but you can help to minimize your exposure to mold – whether or not you have an allergy (yet!)
- Minimize mold in your outdoor environment by getting rid of piles of leaves and other yard waste that’s left to sit quickly. Mold spores can get tracked back into your home.
- When the weather is damp or muggy, keep windows closed and use an air filter.
- When working in the yard, wear work clothes that you keep separate and away from the inside of your home, putting them on and taking them off as close to the door as you can.
- Make sure to be on top of regular maintenance and check for leaks and lingering moisture especially in basements, attics and other places where you may not see it.
- Pay attention to the signs of mold infestation – a persistent musty odour, flu-like symptoms, any worsening allergies – and get professional help if you suspect you have mold in your home.
That musty odour may be your only outward sign of mold infestation. It can begin to infest your home from even a pinhole sized leak in plumbing or a loose shingle on the roof and begin to grow inside walls and floors where you’ll never see it. Once it’s established, mold spores can enter your HVAC system and disseminate throughout your home.
We Can Help
Mold is recognized as a serious health hazard – it’s not something you can ignore or just wipe away with regular household cleaners. Get help from the experts at MoldInspections.ca. Please call us for a hassle-free quote today.
MoldInspections.ca is the trusted leader for mold-free homes and breathable indoor air spaces in Toronto, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), and beyond. Providing certified mold inspection, detection and testing since 2005, we service home owners, real-estate agents, landlords, property managers, insurance companies and businesses. Featured on CTV and Global news, official supplier to HGTV’s Income Properties with Scott McGillivray and Leave It To Bryan and recommended by local contractors, we regularly serve as expert witnesses in court proceeding relating to Mold and Indoor Air Quality issues. Do you have mold? Call us today for a free quote at (416) 575-6111.